Friday 24 August 2012

Thank You, Clinton Portis

Jack Yang


Clinton Portis is one of my favorite Redskins. I am a football fan in Canada with initially, no real affiliation with any NFL franchise. However, my Dad lives in the D.C. area and by default, I became a Redskins fan. The first few years were a struggle for me as I did not understand the game and no one on the Redskins really caught my eyes. That all changed one day in 2004 when the Redskins acquired Portis from the Denver Broncos for Champ Bailey and a second round pick.

In college, Portis was part of one of the greatest college football teams ever assembled - the 2001 Miami Hurricanes. Portis played three years for the U and cemented his legacy in 2001 with 1200 yards and 10 TDs, finishing with 104 yards and a TD in the national championship Rose Bowl game against Nebraska. It was at the U when Portis was noticed as being an extremely determined player who never gave up on any play. It was also at the U when Portis first began his friendship with eventual Redskins safety Sean Taylor. Drafted 51st overall in the second round by the Broncos, Portis excelled in Mike Shannahan's zone blocking scheme to back to back 1500 yard seasons.

When the Redskins traded for Portis, initial reactions were mixed. Many fans felt that shutdown corners like Champ Bailey were much harder to come by than starting running backs, and the extra second round pick was too much. However I did not know enough about football to fully understand this, and was giddy with excitement at the arrival of a superstar. Then Portis did this on his first carry as a Redskin, and I was in love.




The first year was rough for Portis, although he rushed for 1300 yards, his yards per carry dropped from 5.5 to 3.8. For the first time in his career he was asked to run between the tackles in the Redskins power scheme. In 2005, after having some time to adjust, Portis returned to his old self, running for 1500 yards and 11 TDs. As great as Clinton was running the ball, he was arguably a better blocker. Always willing to protect his quarterback, Portis sacrificed his body for the team and dished out some vicious hits in pass blocking.

Ignore the shitty music, the block on Kiwanuka at 0:32 was always one of my favs

After an injury shortened season in 2006, Portis carried the Redskins on his back during the failed Jason Campbell era in both 2007 and 2008. Shouldering the load with 320+ carries a year, Portis took the Redskins as far as he could, both physically and mentally. During this point of his career, we all learned about the man Portis is. Always willing to joke during media sessions, Portis became a leader on the field. Despite being constantly bothered by nagging injuries, Portis put up 1200+ yards both years with barely any practice. Week in and week out reports floated that Clinton could not practice due to various injuries, yet there was #26 come game day, willing the Redskins on. I'll never forget, after the passing of his good friend and teammate Sean Taylor in 2007, Portis scored the opening touchdown on the following Sunday and celebrated by gesturing a bird flying free. I was in tears. 


By 2009, Portis - now 28 and after 6 seasons of 270+ carries - was a shell of his former self. Various injuries compounded, coaches changed and the player went on to have the worst two years of his career. Even I knew this was the end of the Clinton we loved. He had lost his burst. Nevertheless, when he was on the field he still did everything he could to help his team win. It would have been easy for him to take plays off blocking and concentrate his energy on the run game, but that is not who he is. In the disastrous Donovan McNabb year, one play will always stand out for me. McNabb rolled to the right and hit Fred Davis on the left side. As Sleepy ran, who else but Portis came from 5 yards away to lay a devastating block on a Texan safety, ensuring that his team mate scored the touchdown. 



For some Redskins fans, Portis will always represent the one that got away. I understand that Champ Baily has been one of the great players of the past decade. However, I will always hold Clinton Portis in a special place in my heart. Clinton Portis officially retired this Thursday (23 August, 2012) as a Redskin at the ripe young age of 30. Here is his thank you letter to Redskins nation: 

I entered this city wide-eyed and excited. I was a 22-year old kid who didn’t know the storied history or the timeless legacy that is The Redskin Nation. What I did know was that I was called upon to deliver more than just touchdowns. I was brought here to work alongside a great group of teammates to uplift the spirits of an organization, a community, and the best fans in the world.  
Today, I hang up my jersey and untie my cleats. I reflect on my time here as some of the best times I can remember and hope that it is as memorable for you as it is for me. I want to thank my teammates, my family, and my fans for all the love and support and for allowing me to grow from a boy into a man in a city that I will forever love.

A special thank you to Mr. and Mrs. Snyder for everything they have done for me and my family, Coach Shannahan for giving me the chance of a lifetime, and Coach Gibbs for making me a man. LOVE YOU ALL!
Redskin Nation Forever HTTR

Pure class. What more can I say? Clinton Portis is the player that got me hooked on football, he was the one I always had my eye on when the ball was snapped because quite simply, he was the most exciting player on the field. So 'thank you' Clinton. You have given me a passion which will never subside, and for that I am eternally grateful.






No comments:

Post a Comment